Friday 24 September 2010

Beware the Grumblies


Beware the Grumblies

Today was one of those days. Not bad. But things didn't happen as quickly as I would have liked. The installation of our new printer consumed much of my time. Rather, the
failing of the installation of our new printer consumed much of my time. Rain caused my bike trailer to come off twice. Interruptions when cleaning the flat meant it took more than half an hour longer. These are all little annoyances that causes the 'grumblies'. Grumblies are dangerous because even though they are trivial, if you poke at someone going through a grumblie, then it becomes too much and that person is likely to bite your head off!

Whilst cleaning the flat, I was listening to Mike George's talk from when he visited Cambridge recently. It's about an hour and a half long, but well worth a listen if you have the time - I'll include a link below. He was giving a talk to introduce his book, The 7 Myths of Love. One of the things he pointed out in the talk was that we learn as children that happiness comes from having toys. And that we get love when we make other people happy. So, early on, we learn to externalize love and happiness instead of learning that we are love and happiness. He said it much better than I'm relaying it and it's near the beginning of the talk so you don't have to listen to the whole thing to get that part of it.

It just got me thinking, how many times to I expect others to make me happy? How many times do I expect things to work out for my benefit? How much happiness am I missing out on because I wait for external sources to produce it?

Om shanti.

Click on this link and then scroll down to the bottom for Mike George's lecture.
http://www.innerspace.org/cambridge/downloads/


Thank you for reading. For more information on Raja Yoga philosophy see www.bkwsu.org.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great lecture. I get questions about teaching yoga all the time. If you read Planet Yoga’s #yogachat, they had a great discussion on teaching tips. It’s part of their weekly Twitter #yogachat. I thought your readers might want to check it out: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-chat-archive.php?chat_date=2010-08-01

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! Although Raja Yoga is meditation, not poses, I'm sure some of the readers who practice both will find YogaChat helpful.

    ReplyDelete